2.21.2010

Update from Haiti

When I walked to the hospital yesterday they were seeing pts that came off the truck from Cite Soliol. There was a baby that came that was 3lbs 3oz and was born 17days ago. Beth the midwife was trying to feed the baby some breastmilk and get some help from mom who was suffering from mastitis. The baby was lethargic but arousable. Beth handed him off to me since I wasn't on shift yet and said to try to work with him to drink from the bottle. Baby had periods of waking up and sucking and swallowing but then had periods of lethargy and apnea (not breathing!). I am not a PICU/Nicu nurse but I know that is not normal. I asked one of the nurses to talk to Dr. Brad and see about an IV and some D5 (fluids and sugar) to wake him up. He said no but wanted some vitals.... the nurse came back to get vitals and noticed the apnea and asked me what I really was thinking... "I told her I think he is going to die."... Next thing I know we were getting him resuscitated over on the treatment table... we gave him an IV, fluids, some chest compressions (heart rate was 60-80s), dextrose(sugar was 34), OGT, caffeine, Oxygen and lots of TLC. He was crying and starting to move after 15minutes of work... Thank God! The Dr and a nurse and PA took him to the U of Miami field hosp. at the airport. They got him in an isolet and on a ventilator for a short time. Baby is still alive this morning but we all wonder if he does survive what will happen to him. Many of us wonder what will happen to these kids with amputated arms and legs... will they be able to work when they are older? Will they live meaningful happy lives in now ruined country? We can't even go there and just hope for the best. If anything it helped us all feel more confident as a medical team and built some strong team spirit there.
After the baby we all went and had dinner and debriefed. Then I started actually working my shift and worked all night. It was fairly easy nursing in the hospital but difficult due to emotional issues of pts and the language barrier. I am off to bed and going to rest I am back at work tonight.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah, thank you for serving in this way. It sounds so difficult. May the Lord be with you!

kathryn said...

sarah, eric prayed for you at church this morning and we are all thinking of you. please stay positive. you are doing great work. hope your getting rest and that your next shift has some uplifting experiences. be well. peace sister

Patricia said...

Sarah, I'm praying for you. It is hard when you work diligently and all your skills in healing still don't matter...or at least that's what you think. They always matter, but not always in the way you think. Your gentleness and your sensitivity to God are the healing elements. Be uplifted. We love you.

Jennifer said...

Good work, my friend. Praying for you.

Erin Mary said...

Sarah- I've been following your trip and it sounds like such an incredible experience. Thank you for sharing!!