2.18.2010

I am here!!!!!

Hey all I am in Haiti and had the most amazing day! God worked wonderfully and we made it safely! We arrived to see many US Air Force people which was very comforting! We met John McHoul from Heartline and road in the back of the truck with the 1000 lbs of supplies we brought! We even left some home... We went to what used to be the clinic to unload and then off to the hospital and met the nurses, docs, PT, EMTs, PAs we will be working with. We then went and had dinner: mango!!!! (my favorite!), chicken, rice and beans I ate with mudwife Beth Mchoul and a couple other midwives! So good!!!! Then we came to the house we are staying in... It is a home of missionaries that have gone state side for awhile, we have electricity via generator, cold water (which is fine since it is hot and sticky), I have a queen bed to myself.... needless to say this is all way more cushier than I had imagined and I feel a little guilty. We drove by a few fallen buildings but nothing like the dowtown area that was really horribly destoyed... so we have been told. I saw a woman crocheting in the hospital and told her the purse she was making was "Bel"- beautiful in Hatian Creole. We studied on the plane. I will be working nights with another nurse!!!! So happy about that. They even have a cot for us to sleep if can at night. I don't really start working till tomorrow night but I will go hang out and play with the kids, learn the patients names, and the staff for awhile, I will come back and take a nap and be ready to work at 7pm... sounds familiar huh? Well I am signing off.... love you all!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah so glad to hear that you made it safely to Haiti and will be keeping up with all you are doing.

Your cousin Melissa

Trauterman Family said...

So glad you got to go~it's a wonderful opportunity!
Funny though, you blog more out of the country than you do when you are in the US :)
Can't wait to hear more about your time there!

kathryn said...

sarah!!!! im so proud to be your friend!!! and im so happy you are able to update us on all your goings on!! i will be stalking this blog. and praying for you!