12.16.2010

Handmade Christmas Day 3


Trim Your Tree!

As newly weds(2002-2005) we used to have an all blue, silver and white tree but things have changed..........

I have loosened up!

We have had three kids... moved to new homes.

In our condo when Daisy was starting to stand we only had our little tree on a table (2007)...

When we moved here(2008) to our old farmhouse that we love I wanted to add a little red to our tree. Cranberry garland and a few red ornaments we placed in front to kinda match the style of our home!

Last year (2009) we added birds thanks to Carter's love of watching the birds in our yard... we also started the hand made kid ornaments.... Kevin and I also broke the star that had been on top of our tree for 6 years in a row....

This year we have turned to a little more of an organic feel with a turkey feather and dried hydrangeas that I used in a fall arrangement and din't want to throw out! I also found some vintage bulbs at the Holden recycle center for free (YES FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more about this tomorrow!)... We also bought our tree at a local church where the proceeds go to fight hunger locally! One place they give to is a soup kitchen I worked at with my youth group when I was middle school age (love it when life comes full circle!). This was a better solution than cutting one down in a field and paying a ton of money for it! I also have a certain elf that LOVES to "keep" the tree! He loves to turn it on in the morning, fix and ornaments that move, and remind us to water it! He really is so helpful to have around... glad I can enjoy this time of year with him!

What is your tree like and how has it changed?

2 comments:

Melissa Swafford said...

I also have blue, silver and white tree. I got it in 2003 and every year I try to had a new set of ornaments to it. I have added snowflakes in various shades of blue and silver.

Since Mark loves angels we agree each year we would pick out a new angel ornament to add to the tree. I haven't found a good one yet but we are still looking. We did by a 2010, Our First Christmas ornament this year.

One of my favorites about my decorations, is the blue, silver and white tree skirt Aunt Barb made to go with the tree. It is so unique and special and I really treasure it.

We have a boring wire star on top and I think we will be looking to replace it next year.

ShimmyQueen79 said...

This year our tree is decorated with tiaras and random ornaments because most of our Christmas stuff is at the 'rents house. It looks beautiful anyway.