12.15.2010

Handmade Christmas Day 2


It is this time of year that we chose to make homemade treats! Here is why I chose to do this:

1) They taste so much better than store bought treats! I think it is b/c they are fresher and not wrapped in plastic for months!
2) I can employ those in my family that love these treats to help me (like Kevin making hummus for my annual cookie party! Look at this huge clove of garlic.... yum-o!)
3) It helps me portion control when I know how much butter, eggs, cream, sugar, etc. go into every dish!

Here are a couple things we love making:
Artichoke Dip
Hummus
"Life of the Party" Cereal mix (a secret recipe I just got from a friend)
Curried Chutney Dip
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Peanut Butter Balls
Rum Balls
Candy Cane Cookies
Sour Cream Twist
Christmas Tree Press Cookies
Pecan Praline Bars
Christmas Tree Bread
Christmas Stollen
Butternut Lasagne
Homemade Canneloni


That is just the start of the list! There are more things but I'll spare you the stress of them all!
Here is that secret recipe:

Life of the Party Cereal Mix
This appeared on the box of Life cereal when my friend at work was in high school (the 70s). It is sort of a lost recipe because you definitely canon find it on-line! I looked for over and hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 oz Life Cereal
3 1/2 oz French onions
3 oz Chinese Noodles
7 oz peanuts
7 1/2 oz stick pretzels
3/4 cup of butter
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp Tabasco Sauce

Mix snack and cereal ingredients in a large bowl. Combine sauce ingredients and pour over cereal. Put in large roasting pan and heat in 250 degree oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15min. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

will you have any at your house to try? I'd like to test it out before I'd make some up. Luv, Mom