1.27.2010

send Sarah to Haiti...

I have been extremely touched by the victims of the Earthquake in Haiti. I have also been touched by the outpouring of help that has reached this country that already had so many needs. From what I am reading it seems that some of the press has moved out (they were taking up half of the small airport) and now aide is flowing in slowly. Kevin and I have prayed, thought, talked and really feel like I should go help in a medical clinic. I became a nurse to help with medical missions but I have not been able to serve in this way up until this point. Kevin and I have such a peace about it and we are looking to find the right avenue for me to take. I have three options that may pan out for me:

1) I have been following the journey of Heartline Ministries as they have turned their women's clinic into a field hospital over the last 10 days. I am touched by them as they were there serving women pre- earthquake with prenatal checkups, parenting education, breastfeeding education and recently a birthing center. These are all passions of mine and I would love to work in their field hospital as they now are taking in over 100 patients every night. I would go to either help in their clinic where they bus people from the slums/tent cities everyday (up to 100 patients a day) or work overnight taking care of patients that have had procedures and need IV antibiotics, IV fluids and/or drsg changes. If I go work with them it may occur within the next 2 weeks or up to a couple months from now.

2) I might go with Dr. Dan (an ENT doctor that is well experienced in 3rd world country medical trips) from Heritage Bible Chapel. He is talking about putting a trip together in the next couple of months.

3) We have a close pastor friend who might be in the works to pull together a couple doctors and nurses he knows and go on a trip in the summer.

I plan to choose one of these options so basically I will be going to Haiti in the next 6 months via one of these three avenues. I had texted Kevin and asked what he thought about me going, his reply was "I don't see a problem with that". After making sure he wasn't being his sarcastic self I was like "really????". I know I will miss the kids enormously but they have the opportunity to spend some time with Mimi and Papa, Grandma and Grandpa, and Kevin will take a couple vacation days, too. Work is fine with giving me a humanitarian leave for 2 weeks (amazing!!!!). So here is how you come in.... I need people to commit to praying for me and the planning I make for this trip. It is not easy to do these things alone and I know having an army behind me will help. Secondly, I need some funding. I have brainstormed a couple of creative ways to help support me and I will get to those.

Whatever money I raise that is over my cost for the trip and supplies I need to buy for the trip I plan to donate to Heartline Ministries since their directors have been there for 20 years I figure they know the best place to put the money and they have no overhead like so many other organizations.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Praying for you Sarah! If Dr. Dan ends up getting a trip together keep me informed. I'd love to go too.

Aimee said...

Sounds exciting! I will be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Working overtime tonight. I will dedicate it to you and send support.

Love, Aunt Barbara